Friday 5 February 2010

Palpayasam/Kheer

Sometime last year, my cousin sent me this blog that was written in a language that I could so relate to, about dishes that I grew up eating. Since then, I have always read that blog before I made anything. Just to be sure. And her recipes are spot on! I made palpayasam today and I followed her shortcut method. Simply brilliant! I will post my measurements and also the link for the original blog.

Milk - 3 cups. I used 2%, Full cream is better though!
Sugar: 1/4 Cup. You can add more if you like it more sweet.
Rice: 1 tablespoon. I used sona masuri. It will be great to use kerala payasam rice.
A table spoon. Yes, just the spoon.

You need a pressure cooker. And one that is big enough to hold the milk and rice.

Now you have to clean the cooker in boiling water. Straight off the kettle. Clean the whistle and the tablespoon also.

Now, pour the milk into the clean cooker. Add the sugar. Boil them.
Once the milk has boiled, stir in the washed rice.
Now cover the cooker, with the whistle.
Cook this in a low/medium flame for about 30 minutes.
Bingo! Great payasam with minimal effort ;)

Ammupatti's link: http://bhagavathy.blogspot.com/2007/07/recipe-palpayasam.html

2 comments:

  1. Great & quick recipe payasam is always good but i thought it takes lot of time to cook.
    Idea! to make this blog more attrctive how about putting few lines of cultural background/history of dishes?
    Ranu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ranu,
    Thanks for the idea and the comment. I will try and add some backgroud/history wherever I can. :-)

    ReplyDelete