Friday 5 February 2010

Rasam.

This is the most simple south indian dish and every person I know cooks this differently. S loves rasam and will only be too happy if I made this everyday. I just don't make it everyday. I get bored! The best rasam that I have ever had has been made by my grandma. And then my aunt in Trivandrum. They follow a different recipe from each other! I have some lovely rasam podi made by my mother in law and I set about making it my way- minimal or no effort!

Tomatoes: 2
Tamarind: Size of an amla
Rasam powder: 3 heaped teaspoons
Water: 4 -5 cups
Hing: a pinch
Turmeric: a pinch
Mustard, Jeera: 1 tsp
Ghee: 2 teaspoons
Curry Leaves: 4-5
Corriander Leaves: to taste.
Jaggery: 1/4 tsp.

Take a bowl, put in the tamarind and pour the water.
Squeeze the tamarind well.
Throw in a tomato, squeeze it into the water.
In a saucepan, heat the ghee and fry the mustard, jeera and curry leaves.
Pour the tamarind water.
While waiting to boil, add the rasam powder, chopped tomato. salt, turmeric and hing.
Let it boil for 10-15 minutes until the raw smell of tamarind vanishes.
Now taste the rasam, add Jaggery to adjust the taste.
Finish with corriander leaves!

Trust me, you need to use Ghee. The entire flavour depends on the jeera roasting in ghee.

No comments:

Post a Comment